The call for submissions for GDC Next is now open. I am on the advisory board.
The conference will be in Los Angeles, November 5-7. This is the conference that is replacing GDC Austin; basically, it’s intended to be the most forward-looking of the GDCs, intentionally looking at what comes next, not what happened in the last year. Because of that, the tracks aren’t quite what one would expect:
- The Future of Gaming is going to focus on things like second screen play, new kinds of play around mobility, episodic, and the like.
- Next Generation Game Platforms will be digging into not just next-gen consoles but stuff like VR headsets, and glasses, microconsoles, motion tracking, smart TVs, watches, and whatever else looks like it is around the corner.
- Smartphone and Tablet Games is a bit more here and now, but given the enormous worldwide growth that still remains ahead of these platforms, there’s plenty of cutting edge stuff to discuss, and current lessons to share
- Cloud gaming will talk about game streaming — the tech, the business, the design
- The Independent Games Track — we all know that indies are where the future lies. Lecture, postmortems, rants, covering design, business, and everything else.
We’ve got a mix of folks from the GDC Austin board plus a bunch of new advisors.
Go submit your talks!