As you may have noticed if you have been visiting the site lately, it’s been both running very slow and also periodically giving lots of database errors (“error establishing a database connection”). So tonight I did a bunch of stuff to try to speed it up; I have no idea if this is enough, but it should be better!
Here’s the list:
- Installed WP Minify.
- I had to specifically exclude audio-player.js so that the little music player would work when I post up a song.
- Installed WP Smush.it
- I ran the bulk smusher, but it started erroring on finding a bunch of older images, building a weird compound messed-up URL for them. Makes me wonder how many of those old images are even displaying in the blog…
- Reconfigured WP Super Cache. In particular:
- On the Preload tab, had it preload everything.
- I now use the mod_rewrite setting.
- I did install WP-Optimize, but I can’t say that it helped very much. I had already gone into phpMyAdmin and optimized all the tables. But this will make it a lot easier to do.
- I went through the wp_options table and cleared out a pile of orphaned options that included the word “_transient.” In theory these are supposed to get cleaned up, but it didn’t look like they were. There were around 400 of them.
- I also installed Clean Options, to try to stay on top of this better.
- I switched Category Icons to to use one query for the icons, instead of one per icon. No idea if this helped, but I suppose it should.
- Disabled the Gravatars (sorry!)
- Changed all the little flags from the Global Translator plugin to use an image map. This was a setting in the plugin that I hadn’t noticed, but it was a ton of individual image fetches before.
- Reduced all the theme’s images by around 90%.
- Axed the “Get Firefox” button. Everything that reached out to Mozilla was slow.
- Axed the Google +1 button from the front page. Everything that reaches out to Google is slow. There are still a fair amount of other things that reach out there too.
- Axed the Facebook Like and Share buttons from the front page. Everything that reaches out to Facebook is also slow.
- Oh yeah, and that Recent Facebook Activity sidebar too.
- Switched from vanilla PHP5 to FastCGI. Not seeing any errors, so we’ll see how it goes.
- Added static caching of images to my .htaccess file. I used this, which I found on the Net:
ExpiresActive On ExpiresDefault "access plus 15 days" ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 15 days" ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 15 days" ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 15 days" ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 15 days" ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 15 days" ExpiresByType image/swf "access plus 15 days"
I do not expect this to fix everything. In running repeated tests on www.webpagetest.org, the commonest issue at this point is a slow first byte — sometimes up to 10 seconds. I assume that is an issue with my host BlueHost.com. Also, as I write this, I am getting occasional “Error establishing a database connection” messages anyway. So something is still up. But hopefully this is better anyway.
The slow query that seems to lead to the error is, alas, super-generic:
# Mon Jan 16 00:14:53 2012 # Query_time: 1.280560 Lock_time: 0.000000 Rows_sent: 0 Rows_examined: 0 use <db name hidden>; SELECT option_name, option_value FROM wp_options WHERE autoload = 'yes'
This post itself is sort of a test… we’ll see what happens! 🙂
Edit: there is a follow-on post with additional things I ended up doing located here: Blog Hosting Upgrade. Yes, I did upgrade the hosting plan, but there are also some additional optimizations that may help you if you came here looking for assistance.